Friday 26 October 2012

Week 05: Still Life

Chalks,  20 minutes

 Done in charcoal,  however I tried to use it differently than I usually do by not smudging it and leaving the highlights completely blank instead of removing the charcoal with white pencil or a putty rubber like you can see in the landscape drawing. This gives the drawing quite an impressionistic look as some areas are not completley accurate, such as the ribs, but  I have tried to imply the look of more of them.
The curved line of the card on the right sweeps across the page onto the table, drawing your eye across the page. The problem with this is that they look as if they are connected and the edges are kissing which does not look pleasing to the eye. A horizon line and background could have been added to ground the drawing.
Another important aspect of the composition is the reflective card. I think I have implied this with the use of shadows and highlights.



Chalks on coloured paper, 8 minutes

Here you can see evidence of foreshortening on the ribs and skull which gives the picture depth. I have tried to draw in the highlights and lighter areas of the composition first with white chalk instead of drawing it all out in line first. This is why the image is done on coloured paper as this enables you to see the highlights. This worked well for this particular composition as there were more light than shadow. It also give a quick, sketchy impressionistic style. I added some shadows with a black chalk looks very bold against the bright white which adds to the style.



Chalk on coloured paper, 30 minutes

I think the fact that the card is reflective is more evident in this image as you can see reflected images in it such as the skull and the card. I worked in the same way as the above drawing however I also used brown chalk to add some midtones. Again a horizon line and addition of the table could be added to ground the image as it currently looks like its floating.

No comments:

Post a Comment